On this page you can find out about some of the events we have organised in the past as well as things we have planned for the future. If you’ve got an idea for a library or reading-themed event, and would like to talk to us about it, we’d love to hear from you – please get in touch.
- National Libraries Day 2014
- We’re planning to make a short film on the theme of libraries and opportunity based on the Library A to Z from Voices for the Library. We’ll be looking for contributors who’d like to tell their story in the form of a sound recording. If you’d like to take part in this project please get in touch.
- National Libraries Day 2013
- We’d like to know what sort of events and activities you’d like to see taking place in our area for the next National Libraries Day so we have plenty of time to get something organised. Last year we ran events in three library branches that did a great job of engaging people who use the service already. But, as well as giving existing users an opportunity to celebrate their libraries, we’d also like to spread the word to people who haven’t visited in a while, or who don’t really feel libraries are for them. We’d love to hear your suggestions. Read more here…
- The We ♥ Libraries Autumn Social – October 4 2012
- Do you love to read, and to share your ideas about what’s good and what’s not? Are you constantly looking out for recommendations for your next book? If so, our Autumn Social event was a chance to get together with like-minded people for some book chat, tea and cake at David’s Bookshop, Eastcheap, Letchworth. Read a report of the event here – and get some great reading recommendations.
- Hearts, Herts and Happy Endings: Freya North at the Letchworth Festival – June 19 2012
- We were delighted to be able to welcome the best-selling, award-winning romantic novelist and public library champion Freya North to the Letchworth Festival in 2012 to talk about her latest book Rumours and about her writing career.
David’s Bookshop in Letchworth two days before the official release of her new novel Rumours which meant that attendees could take advantage of one of the very earliest opportunities to get their hands on a copy of the book – not to mention getting it signed.
The event was a great success for all concerned with fans telling us how much they’d enjoyed the evening and a fine crowd coming along, many of whom bought their copies of Rumours on the spot, thus supporting one of the district’s most well-known independent booksellers. Freya was a delight to listen to and you can read our report of the event here or check out her Facebook page here.
Born and raised in North London, Freya now lives on a small farm in Hertfordshire with her two children. She has written 11 bestsellers over the last 16 years and deals in colourful characters, contemporary themes and a modern take on traditional tales of love, family and friendship. Her previous titles include Sally (1996), Love Rules (2005), Secrets (2009), Pillow Talk (2007 – winner of the Romantic Novel of the Year Award in 2008) and last year’s summer bestseller Chances (featured in our virtual book group here). Her works have been translated into many languages and her UK sales are over two million.
- World Book Night 2012
- Monday April 23 2012 was World Book Night – an event that aimed to celebrate books and reading, and which saw thousands of volunteers sharing their love of reading by handing out free books in their neighbourhoods. find out how we got on here. In 2012 there were 25 titles on offer, all donated by publishers to help spread the love of reading – and the We ♥ Libraries team were chosen as givers, as part of our mission to champion and celebrate library services in North Herts and Stevenage. We handed out 24 brand-new copies of Daphne du Maurier’s classic psychological thriller Rebecca around Hitchin town centre over three days, and you can
- National Libraries Day 2012
With the help of Hertfordshire Library Service we organised events in three library branches – Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock – to ask users to help us demonstrate the strength of support that libraries commands in North Hertfordshire. More here…
On Saturday February 4 2012 we took part in a national day of celebration to highlight everything that’s great about the UK’s public library service and to demonstrate the strength of the support that it commands around the country.